Tuesday, January 6, 2009

from the inside looking out

Well this morning I became one of those mothers from hell that you sometimes see when out and about in the shops or a restaurant or somewhere. You know, the ones who are at their wits end, yelling at their children and manhandling them to make them do what they've been told to do?! And using that ubiquitous threat "We'll go home if you don't... bla bla". We went to playgroup and for the first time in my (almost) 2 years of motherhood I broke my own rules. I heard myself saying "right, we're going home" about 4 times and then decided to actually follow through. I picked Brendan up by the arm and carried him up the stairs and out of the building. Not my finest hour of mothering I admit. Basically, we arrived, he did everything he was not supposed to do, he did his usual change of mind thing every 3 seconds, he lay on the floor in a tantrum, he disrupted the other kids trying to listen to the story, he repeatedly slammed the door, he left the room and disappeared a few times... I just need to learn from it- due to poor planning I was trying to feed Tadhg while all this was going on! I tried every tactic I could think of to get Brendan to 'play ball' but had very limited success. Eventually after 20 minutes I gave up and left, a child in each arm. Room for improvement I think. We'll try again next week and be a bit better prepared.

Later in the day...
The lighting outside was beautiful so I snapped a few pics from the window. Let's have a look...





No comments: